Sunday, August 1, 2010

My Last Bishop's Appointment - Mormon No More

So, July 8th, 2000 was the date I joined the church. 10 years and 23 days later I exited the church.

I have been contemplating my membership in the church for the last 6 months or so and have gone back and forth on the subject. I finally got up the courage to email my bishop. It took him about a month to respond, but he finally did. It was full of love and was very caring. So I decide to meet with this bishop and see if I can make the church work in my life.

We sit down and he let's me lead the discussion. I explain that I still have a lot of love for God and that the church has given me a lot. I explain also that I had it manifest to me by the same God that told me to join the church, that it is okay for me to be gay. I explained my willingness to live a good life and figure out how to make the church a part of my life. I also said that one of my goals in life would continue to be, to find a man to love and spend my life with.

He shared his testimony that God would not allow such a person in the Celestial Kingdom. He also told me that I would find much happiness in other kingdoms, but he was still saddened that I would not be in the highest degree of glory with him.

He in so many words told me his answers to prayer were true and that if I were to follow mine, I would either go down the road of church discipline which I had previously told him I was not willing to, or that I could have my records removed from the church.

I choose the latter.

Now I am religionless. I guess this can be a future quest. For the time being though, I will just enjoy the fact that I was honest, open, and faced my fears.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you find greater happiness in your new journeys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hun...I'm proud of you! Meeting you at LTC was amazing, and if I was standing in front of you now I would give you a standing ovation! Breath and step into who you are ment to be on this planet. If you need me I'm here! LOVE YOU TONS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a braver man than I. Even though I don't believe in the divinity of the Church, and even though I don't have any desire to participate in it, I just can't bring myself to officially leave it. My stake president asked me to come in just to see how I was doing and I explained to him that I felt like a hypocrite staying a member. Things are different here. It's unlikely that I would be actively pursued for discipline.

    Congratulations on having the strength to be totally honest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you the best. You are very brave and I admire your honesty. Brad

    ReplyDelete