Sunday, June 27, 2010

Not What It Seems

There was a time where I believed I was able to read people pretty quick and accurately. I am now understanding that I actually suck at reading people. Here is an example that I have been thinking of for the last week.

A mission "friend"- So my second area, I meet a kids who is very passionate about everything. I was also passionate about a few things which made the potential for conflict high. I remember being on exchanges with this individual and having an argument during a discussion on caffeine. I looked at this missionary as a good guy, but never someone I thought would try to stay in touch with me. Eight years later, I get the magic email saying he has requested to be my friend on Facebook. I didn't know why he added me, but thought it was a nice gesture and gladly accepted. I posted my new blog on my FB account which I found out he read by an email he sent me.

"I think its very brave to come out the way you did. I personally think that as time goes on there will be more progresives in the church and it will become more and more accepted and people will just relize that love is love. Im sure you will get hate from mormons who look at it as so evil but people are starting to come around and we need good people in the church gay or straight who love Christ and love the goodness that the church teaches."
 I was so surprised to find this guy so loving and understanding. Someone I never thought I would hear from again turned out to be one of the most supporting people from the mission.

I could write about many other stories as of late where I am so far off the mark. Bad hires, best friends who left me when finding out I am gay, maybe someday, I will be spot on with figuring out who people are. For now, I will just take people for who they are day by day.

5 comments:

  1. "best friends who left me when finding out I am gay"

    Yup. I'm totally leaving you now that I found out you're gay. Serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice story. People never fail to surprise me so I've started to give up on trying to figure them out. Hang in their. Truth is, people like "serious" - he really is right? Or is that another one I can't figure out - aren't really your friends anyway. They never were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and your former mission buddy may be kindred spirits after all. It's true you just never know the character of some poeple until its tested. You've won in this case. I hope something wonderful comes of it.

    RE: Judging character & reading people; I have been pretty successful in reading people. I'm curious how that process goes for you. what do you base your impressions on? We should compare notes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so nice to here of stories about such genuine, down to earth people. It is a rare thing to find my friend, very rare indeed.

    PS.Don't worry about those bad hires. I have had a few of those in my day:) Everyone has!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH wow i bet that was a nice surprise! I am sure it feels good to know other people support you!

    ReplyDelete